Sunday, October 07, 2007

Movies: Heartbreak Kid

This is not a movie review, but I did see the Heartbreak Kid this weekend. The movie was funny - in a very typical Ben Stiller fashion.


I do however have a small issue with the movie. I think it was a bit coughracistcough. I could be over sensitive, but there were some suspect things in that movie.

First, Ben Stiller's father in the movie was behaving in a ghetto/hip hop manner. I know that all black people are not inherently ghetto and/or hip hop - but certain stereotypes are linked to Black culture. That being said I didn't like the cool, hip hop Dad saying, "Bytchez be crazy." It bothered me.

Secondly, half way through the movie Stiller is having sex with his movie wife and she says, "Fux me like a Blackman." The 90% White movie theater howls with laughter. I lean over to person I'm with to say, "..that was racist." Another Blackwoman (not with me) hears what I said and replies, "It sure was." Ben Stiller then gives his wife a rendition of the jackhammer. NOW I'm thinking- Whoa so that's how Blackmen fux. The woman who overheard my comment, gets up. I thought she was going to the ladies room but she never returned to her seat. When I realize that she walked out and I didn't, I felt like a laughing coon because I shrugged it off and continued to watch and laugh.

Thirdly, the only Black person to speak in the Heartbreak Kid was a little girl that was clearly mixed. This could be nitpicking but it hard for me to accept movie societies were Black people marginally exist.

* * * * *
Sidebar: I saw Teyana from My Super Sweet 16. She's pretty and mad cool. I say cool because we stole her friend's parking spot in Harlem and she didn't spaz out. :O)

4 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

thanks for the note hon, and i cant remeber who L is for he life of me and the BOB is a new one to me. I have been compared to a BOB before and have secured nic names ranging from horse man to country smoke sausage among others - u women are very creative and you have given me another idea for a blog lol

The Bear Maiden said...

I've been thinking about this post for a few days... cuz I know what you mean about feeling like a "laughing coon". Don't be too hard on yourself, though. Humor is a weird thing. I mean, if a black character said it, would it had given you the same feeling? Would you still have laughed? Would you still think it racist?

And I don't even have any opinions or fully formed thoughts, by the way... just askin' rhetorical questions I ask myself. Racism is a funny thing. It "colors" everything you see...

Anonymous said...

Dont feel coony girlfriend!!!! humor is a funny/funky little thing... we wouldn't watch/despise ILNY if it wasn't for having a sense of humor, lol

Joi said...

I heart you S.K.

I'm like the militant of my friends and their colorful movie selections have broken me down over the years. But I still throw the side-eye when I hear or see racist shit in films.