Monday, October 22, 2007

Rants: Black Man Don't Believe It!!

All of a sudden the state of Black men in America has a become a major social issue. Mainly focusing on the way that Black men have failed the Black family. I've listened and read various opinions and I have even twisted up my face at the "numbers".

But today I heard something that pissed me off. I enjoy radio talk shows that focus in African American issues - it's a Sunday highlight for me really. Anyway, as I'm listening I hear one man after another say "I never learned how a man is suppose to maintain a family," or "there wasn't a man around to teach me how to be a man."

These types of statement disturbs my soul. Why because I think it disrespectful and ignorant. Yep, I said. A lot of Black men have used these kinds of statements as a crutch for their neglect of home. If YOU know a man that uses these statements as a crutch, please tell him to STOP. And I'm being dead ass serious.

The male guest on this radio talk show listed all the things they believed could only be taught from a man to a boy. And aside from learning how to shaving, it all sounded like bullish to me. I never learned how to love a woman. I never learned what role a man plays in the house. I never learned how to court a woman and create a sustainable relationship. You maybe reading and seeing these as accurate statements about many Black men's steps into manhood. I Do Not.

If you are a Black boy raised by a Black women you've learned far more than your giving yourself credit for. As a child growing, you see everything. You see your mother wishing for roses on Valentine's Day, or yearning for someone special to ring in the New Year with. You learned what roles a man plays in the house every time your mother went to her second job, or asked someone to help her out with some money until she got paid. Or the time when she's asked you to hold the chair so she could reach sometime up high. Hell, what about the times when mom said, "Baby, I only have two hand." What about the time when mom came home mad because some crude man grabbed at her on the way home - you as a man, learned how to approach a woman and you know what a woman wants to hear. Now the part about maintaining a relationship - if you can maintain friendship with your boys for years, you can maintain a relationship. I know I'm over simplifying because there's sex and emotions in a relationship. But if you have a woman willing to pretend that giving you head in the highlight of her day, you can give that woman a the same level of respect and commitment you give to your friends. Beside your boys ain't blowing you. Or maybe they are? I'm not judging.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you see my point. If Black men where to say they were afraid, anxious or even BRAINWASHED to believe that they can't love black women or raise their children, I'd believe that. But don't say you never learned- It's disrespect for to the Village of Woman that raised you.

Black men stop letting the world paint you with the weak man brush.



p.s. this rant is from the heart. Think of it as your mother cussing you out for bringing home B's when she knows your capable of A's. :O)

8 comments:

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

I have a guy friend who was raised by his mom, because his dad didn’t want him. He turned out fine. He treats ladies with respect and loves his mom. It is possible and all that complaining is nothing more than a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The Bear Maiden said...

I dunno. As a mother of a son (albeit who's "blackness" could be debated), I wonder. There are things he will learn from me. My goal in life is for him to be the best man I can raise him to be. But I am not a man. Just like girls learn certain things from being around their mom... and not just how to cook collard greens or keep a house clean... things we don't even know we've learned, it is a constant fear of mine that there are things he's not learning. It's hard to put into words. But he's 8 now... he's at that age where I can *feel* him exploring, yearning. And I know he misses his dad. And I also know his dad is crazy... And I've gone so far as to decide I need a husband, because I don't think I can teach him to be a man.

S.K. said...

Ms Pudding - this right here It is possible and all that complaining is nothing more than a self-fulfilling prophecy is what has messed up a lot of black men. And I do think alot of our men have been brainwashed to think they can't be parents.

S.K. said...

Bear Maiden - I feel you and I understand where your coming from. As a mommy you always strive to give your child everything they might need. That being said, I don't think its fair for boys to come into adulthood blaming their mothers and abandoning their children.

It crazy for a man to look at his child to say a man did raise me, so I won't bother raising you. etc.

The Bear Maiden said...

No doubt the brothers are in a bad way. Heck... WE are in a bad way so I don't know what the answer is. I should say though, that I do agree with you in part. There is definitely some "Passing of the buck" and it DOES need to stop.

Joi said...

My question is why does a brother show up for sex, but when a baby is produced from this 'arrangement' he disappears. Men can stick around for sexual gratification but not to raise their child.

Anonymous said...

Girl, I am feeling this post so hard, I've always wondered why would men say that when it takes the hell out of a woman to be mother and father to a child!!



Double points for highlinghting that whole "my boys come before my family/woman/relationship obligations" what sort of bullshit is that anyways??? I'll be honest,as a foreigner I gotta say I've mostly encountered that shit here, I mean mind you latin men might WANNA hang out with niggas all day and be posted up at the bar and shit... but they know where they ought to be!, their relatives will let them know what's up too

BeautyinBaltimore said...

Excellent post.