Wednesday, November 14, 2007

News: Buckwheat Lives!!


HOUMA, La. -- A state representative in a runoff election infuriated civil rights leaders after she ended a conversation with the mother of the NAACP's local president by saying, "Talk to you later, Buckwheat."
State Rep. Carla Blanchard Dartez, of Morgan City, acknowledged she made the remark during a Thursday night telephone conversation with Hazel Boykin to thank her for driving voters to the polls.
.
Buckwheat, a black child character in the "Little Rascals" comedies of the 1930s and '40s, is viewed as a racial stereotype demeaning to black people.
.
Hazel Boykin's son, Jerome, is the NAACP's president in Terrebonne Parish. She is well-known as a 1960s civil rights activist, helping to desegregate restaurants and the parish school system.
.
Dartez has represented parts of Terrebonne, St. Mary and Assumption parishes since 1999. She has said she does not intend to drop out of the race.
.
"I made an insensitive comment when speaking with Hazel Boykin, and I have apologized to the Boykin family and publicly for my choice of words," Dartez said in a statement. "I have a strong record of fighting for issues important to the African American community; in fact, I have a 93 percent voting record with the Black Caucus." continue reading
.
* * * * *
.
When first heard about this I was a speechless, it seemed so absurd. As I thought about it I found some words. WTF was the woman thinking? A blackwoman is trying to help her community and she is called BuckWheat. Why didn't Rep. Dartez just say, "Thanks nigger. You were a great help." Calling a black person this is disrepectful pure and simple. This isn't a bullish grey area comment, where Rep. Dartez can say, "well black people say it so I thought it was ok." When black people call some Buckwheat its an insult and they (We- ME) mean that ish. And I don't care that she apologized, she had to apologize to save face. God only knows how long she's been dying to call someone Buck Momofukku Wheat. But I guess I'm supposed to file this under at least you know where she stands.....*counts backwards from 99 to calm down*

5 comments:

Joi said...

People are getting out of hand. Why couldn't she just end the call and thank her with her government name.

I was also alarmed by Dog's retarded ass feeling as though he was 'cool' enough to use the N word.

I think they need to make a Hosatdown Latte at Starbucks.

Anonymous said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Damn like I said before she came from the left with Buckwheat.....wtf? When YT keep their thoughts to themselves? I won't ask them to stop feeling that way cause well....the won't.

Don said...

Calm down babygirl, she aint worth it

Leoninatl said...

It's disgusting, but no surprise. I am from Mississippi after all. We knew who not to trust and sideye at ALL times.


And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Anonymous said...

I'M THINKING SHE WAS ALFAPHA OR SOMETHING... THESE PILGRIMS ARE GETTING BOLDER BY THE SECOND